Alphabet Enables Google To Remain Innovative
On August 10th, 2015, Google co-founders Larry Page and Sergey Brin announced the formation of Alphabet, the holding company which will include Google and a portfolio of companies to spur innovation (see Figure 1). A new website www.abc.xyz emerges and Google will still trade as (GOOG). Check out the parody of the HBO Silicon Valley comedy here (www.hooli.xyz)
Figure 1. The New Google Alphabet
For those in the know, Google has struggle with remaining focused on the existing operations which fund innovation and the new areas which have massive market potential. Sundar Pichai will lead as the CEO of Google which includes Ads, Android, Apps, Maps, Search, and YouTube. Eric Schmidt will serve as the Executive Chairman of Alphabet while Sergey Brin will head up Google X. The remaining Alphabet companies will retain their current leadership. Arthur Levinson will run Calico. Tony Fadell will still lead Nest.
Figure 2: The Run Down News Analysis: Inside Alphabet – G Is For Google
The Bottom Line: Move Spurs Focus On Innovation, Avoids Failures Of Past Innovators
History is rife with the failure of large has-been corporate giants such as AT&T, Bell Labs, General Motors, Kodak, Sony, and Xerox who failed to recognize the failure to revinvent the company. With innovation stifled in bureaucracy, these organizations failed to retain their ability to compete and disrupt themselves. The new holding company Alphabet gives Google an opportunity not to repeat the mistakes of past innovation and technology giants and should enable the Alphabet leadership to focus on their specific innovation mission. Customers and shareholders should find that this new governance model will unlock the hidden potential within Google and improve the sagging morale and low productivity among the teams.
Are you ready to disrupt digital business? Have you ordered the book?
Please let us know if you need help with your Digital Business transformation efforts. Here’s how we can assist:
- Developing your digital business strategy
- Connecting with other pioneers
- Sharing best practices
- Vendor selection
- Implementation partner selection
- Providing contract negotiations and software licensing support
- Demystifying software licensing
- News Analysis: Infosys One-Year After Vishal Sikka August 4, 2015
- Event Report: Sage Summit 2015 Shows A Refocus On The Future Of The SMB Customer July 29, 2015
- News Analysis: Inside The Rationale Behind @LinkedIn Turning Off Its CSV Connections Download Tool July 25, 2015
- News Analysis: How @LinkedIn Is Creating A Personal Data Hostage Crisis For Its Users July 25, 2015
- Tuesday’s Tip: Apply For A SuperNova Award – Recognize Leaders In Digital Business July 21, 2015
- Book Summary: Lesson 10 From Disrupting Digital Business – Segment By Digital Proficiency Not Age July 12, 2015
- Book Summary: Lesson 9 From Disrupting Digital Business – Deliver Intention Driven, Mass Personalization At Scale July 2, 2015
- Book Summary: Lesson 8 From Disrupting Digital Business – Democratize Distribution With P2P Networks June 22, 2015
- Webinar Invite: Delivering on Continuity – The Future of Marketing June 15, 2015
- Book Summary: Lesson 7 From Disrupting Digital Business – Humanize Digital With Digital Artisans June 14, 2015
- Book Summary: Lesson 6 From Disrupting Digital Business – Win With Network Economies June 10, 2015
- Product Review: Two Apple Watch Enterprise Apps Launched With IMS Health Life Sciences Wearable Platform June 7, 2015
- Event Report: Zuora’s #Subscribed15 Shows How Organizations Can Power Their Digital Transformation Initiatives May 31, 2015
- Book Summary: Lesson 5 From Disrupting Digital Business – Build For Insight Streams May 31, 2015
- Book Summary: Lesson 4 From Disrupting Digital Business – Know That Data Is The Foundation May 25, 2015
- Book Summary: Lesson 3 From Disrupting Digital Business – Sell The Smallest Unit You Can May 17, 2015
- Webinar Invite: Disrupting Digital Business – The Customer Experience Imperative May 16, 2015
- Quips: Networked Economy Models Emerge Should Verizon Gain Approval To Acquire AOL May 12, 2015
- Book Summary: Lesson 2 From Disrupting Digital Business – Keep Brand Promises In An Attention Economy May 10, 2015
- Research Summary: The Correct Way to Use Customer Data May 6, 2015
- Event Report: Insights Into The New NetSuite At SuiteWorld 2015 May 9, 2015
- Book Summary: Lesson 1 From Disrupting Digital Business May 3, 2015
- Personal Log: Read Chapter One of Disrupting Digital Business April 22, 2015
- Press Release: Registration Opens for Inaugural Constellation Digital Disruption Tour April 16, 2015
- Quips: The Long Tail On Intel’s Latest Earnings April 14, 2015
- Event Report: Inside The Apple #SpringForward Event March 9, 2015
- Event Report: Inside the #SXSW2015 Phenom – Meerkat March 14, 2015
- Personal Log: Our Alliance With Digital Clarity Group March 10, 2015
- Research Report: Enterprise Healthcare Management (EHM) – Healthcare Meets Analytics March 1, 2015
- Quips: Five Life and Leadership Lessons From The Billionaire’s Club February 28, 2015
Reprints can be purchased through Constellation Research, Inc. To request official reprints in PDF format, please contact Sales .
Although we work closely with many mega software vendors, we want you to trust us. For the full disclosure policy,stay tuned for the full client list on the Constellation Research website.
* Not responsible for any factual errors or omissions. However, happy to correct any errors upon email receipt.
Copyright © 2001 -2015 R Wang and Insider Associates, LLC All rights reserved.
Contact the Sales team to purchase this report on a a la carte basis or join the Constellation Customer Experience
(Cross-posted @ A Software Insider's Point of View)