- Why’s VMWare would want to buy Zimbra – looks like it’s official now. See also The VAR Guy on the topic.
- This makes us remember the damn the good deal BMC got on Remedy for $350M in 2002.
- We talk at length about VMWare trying to become an Elder Company (like Microsoft, IBM, etc.)
- John going to OpsCode – VP Services & Training
- We talk about the excitement in “model-driven automation” at the moment.
- BMC buys Phurnace – Coté’s Quick Analysis.
- Microsoft buys Opalis – service management automation. Some scenario outlines over on the Microsoft virtualization blog.
- Puppet dashboards – overview of node runs, some drill down on nodes, reporting.
- More OpsCamp talk, and DevOpsDay US during Velocity.
- John talks with SOASTA. OLAP monitoring data access, did some e-Filing testing for TurboTax. This reminds Coté of Sonoa.
- Amazon: Windows Server 2008.
- Amazon spot pricing: Cloud Exchange, tracks the avg. pricing.
- Amazon media streaming and spot auctioning stuff. Gartner’s Cameron Haight on how this might apply to IT departments.
- We talk about the rumored Apple Tablet.
- John’s getting a Mac for the first time – this reminds Coté of his “getting used to the Mac” post.
- Spiceworks raises $16M in Round C. See MSPmentor’s rundown with plenty of numbers, like 850,000 “users,” and “penetrated more than 25 percent of all businesses that have more than 100 employees.”
- Per se video from David Foster Wallace.
- John buys Rock Band for his kids.
And the items we didn’t manage to get to: