LinkedIn Twitter
Independent analyst and systems architect specializing in business process management and Enterprise 2.0. Previously founded two successful product and service companies focusing on content management, BPM and e-commerce. Featured conference speaker on BPM and its impact on business, and writes the Column 2 blog on BPM and Enterprise 2.0. All posts are © Sandy Kemsley.

3 responses to “It’s Not About BPM vs. ACM, It’s About A Spectrum Of Process Functionality”

  1. John Maloney

    Hi – The clinical, overbearing preoccupation with process originated in the 20th Century w/Taylorism and later Fordism. Today they on the path of obsolescence and the history books. Few things do as much harm to modern orgs than process. Little/no impact or outcomes are achieved with linear ordered-systems, dynamic or otherwise. Innovation erupts from variation, the very thing process strives to eliminate. See:

    http://networksingularity.com/2011/03/21/process-versus-networks.aspx

    -j

  2. Andrew Smith

    I agree that the best solution is a blend of structured and un-structured and most organisations need a platform that delivers in both areas. This is why I go on about APG (Adaptive Process Guidance) because the whole point of it is to work in both a completely structured fashion, or un-structured, a blend of the two or to fill the gap between them.

    I disagree with John, without structure in certain processes we work inefficiently, just look at any highly repetative, simplish process that you can find in most businesses (also, argue that point with Henry Ford – production line process). However, highly structured, rigid processes only make up around 20% of a businesses actual processes, so business needs a platform that deals with the other 80%, and these arent all unstructured processes, nor do they all need to be highly adaptive, nor do they need to spawn innovation.

    Business need platforms that meet all of their needs, and by breaking down problems too small, as we tend to do in IT, we actually miss the larger picture and only solve a part of the problem. APG and a holistic approach is what a business needs to manage its functions, its business and the processes that turn the wheels of that business…