Consumer Trends Often Lead The Enterprise Space
The Consumer Electronics Show begins Tuesday, January 7th, 2014 in Las Vegas. Dubbed consumer tech’s largest event, Constellation expects to see a few big things for #CES14. In fact, digital disruption is alive and well. The five forces of consumer tech: social, mobile, cloud, big data and video converged early in the consumer space and has commoditized faster than ever. Consumer tech often showcases what the art of the possible will be for the enterprise. Four big categories for CES embody this digital disruption for consumers:
- Wearables go mainstream. The self quantification movement has gone from geek to chic fashion. Major fashion brands and pharma tech companies scramble to get the latest designs out. Products range from smart watches, to bio monitoring devices, and to fitness tracking. Purpose built, these consumer devices will be the stars for CES this year.
- Internet of things drives data driven personalization at scale. The machine to machine and automation market is seeing a boost from home automation in lighting, entertainment, and security. The big push is to put sensors to create data driven products that can not only improve personalization but improve context and relevancy on devices. The result will be smarter homes, smarter cars, smarter buildings, and lots of big data business models harnessed by the vendors.
- Video gets cheaper and better faster. 4K goes mainstream and price points drop. Expect more and more OLED and lower price points. The Koreans have an edge here but don’t be surprised if someone else comes from out of the blue.
- Maker movement expands accessibility. 3D printing and imaging improve in accessibility. The goal is to drive down price points, improve access, and drive up the ecosystem. Expect new business models to emerge that will enable more local production and mass personalization at scale.
The Bottom Line: Mass Personalization At Scale Is The Unwritten Theme of CES2014
The low cost of sensors and computing power now enable data driven personalization at consumer scale. The data behind mass personalization will enable context which will drive relevancy in the overall customer experience. This is the dawn of the data driven consumer tech era. CES 2014 attendees looking back will realize that the digital disruption in 2014 came from sensor enablement, creation of bigdata business models, and the launch of mass personalization at scale.
Are you attending CES? If so, what trends do you see impacting your brand or your enterprise? Add your comments to the blog or reach me via email: R (at) ConstellationR (dot) com or R (at) SoftwareInsider (dot) org.
Please let us know if you need help with your Digital Business transformation efforts. Here’s how we can assist:
- Developing your digital business strategy
- Connecting with other pioneers
- Sharing best practices
- Vendor selection
- Implementation partner selection
- Providing contract negotiations and software licensing support
- Demystifying software licensing
- Harvard Business Review: What a Big Data Business Model Looks Like
- Monday’s Musings: How The Five Consumer Tech Macro Pillars Influence Enterprise Software Innovation
- Tuesday’s Tip: Understand The Five Generation Of Digital Workers And Customers
- Monday’s Musings: The Chief Digital Officer In The Age Of Digital Business
- Slide Share: The CMO vs CIO – Pathways To Collaboration
- Event Report: CRM Evolution 2013 – Seven Trends In The Return To Digital Business And Customer Centricity
- News Analysis: Sitecore Acquires Commerce Server In Quest Towards Customer Experience Management
- News Analysis: Salesforce 1 Signals Support For Digital Business at #DF13
- Research Summary And Speaker Notes: The Identity Manifesto – Why Identity Is At The Heart of Digital Business
Reprints can be purchased through Constellation Research, Inc. To request official reprints in PDF format, please contact Sales .
Although we work closely with many mega software vendors, we want you to trust us. For the full disclosure policy, stay tuned for the full client list on the Constellation Research website.
* Not responsible for any factual errors or omissions. However, happy to correct any errors upon email receipt.
Copyright © 2001 -2014 R Wang and Insider Associates, LLC All rights reserved.
Contact the Sales team to purchase this report on a a la carte basis or join the Constellation Customer Experience
(Cross-posted @ A Software Insider's Point of View)