- Multitenancy is irrelevant. (And then they tried all kinds of mega and virtual tenancy stuff only to learn that its a hugely important piece.)
- They said — Cloud is “just” a deployment choice. Customers want “choice” of on-premise, hybrid and cloud.
- They said — you can serve SMB on multi-tenant cloud but never “real” enterprise.
- They said — cloud is not secure. Its secure here but not in Europe.
- They said — “roach motel” of enterprise software.
- They said — yes, revenue but really NO PROFITS at @workday and @salesforce. See the numbers now.
- They said — cloud is all about virtualization of data centers. And public cloud is a ‘phase’.
- They said — no Startup will ever go IPO on a 3rd party cloud platform.
- They said — legacy software companies can “simply” start hosting. (Yes, like Ford can simply start cars-as-a-service and become Uber.)
- Finally, to the VCs who said “CRM is dead. I will fund next @Salesforce.” What are your startups doing in MRR? $500M in MRR anyone?
Even as these companies continue to grow, the doubts continue to be raised.
When you are inventing a new future, expect resistance.
(Cross-posted @ On SaaS, Cloud and Enterprise)